What Are the Most Dangerous Household Chemicals?

Reading Time: 4 minutes

Maintaining a clean home can be pretty overwhelming. Thankfully, household cleaning products are available for our daily needs. But let’s pause and evaluate, for even everyday household items contain chemicals dangerous to our family if misused.

Chemical substances can differ in threat level depending on the exposure and dose. Therefore, to avoid harming anyone unintentionally, it’s better to learn about dangerous household chemicals. Here’s everything you need to know.

Why Are Household Chemicals Dangerous?

When handling household chemicals, we should look for flammable, corrosive, toxic, and poisonous hazards. When released, some substances can cause respiratory problems and trigger allergic reactions. Some elements even cause headaches and other similar symptoms.

Aside from health risks, flammable substances, for example, can cause severe damage if misused. So what exactly are these threat-inducing substances? Here are the top dangerous household chemicals you should watch out for:

The Top Dangerous Household Chemicals

Here are the most dangerous household chemicals.

1. Ammonia Hydroxide

A common ingredient that proved helpful in many household cleaning products is ammonia. You can find it in the following:

  • Multi-purpose cleaners
  • All-purpose cleaners
  • Windows and glass cleaner
  • Floor cleaners
  • Bathroom cleaners
  • Oven cleaners

Prolonged exposure to ammonia can irritate the eyes, nose, and skin. Ingesting it may also burn your mouth and throat and, in some cases, inflict severe lung damage.

Avoid mixing chlorine bleach with ammonia when cleaning, as these two chemicals create a lethal compound called chloramines. Inhalation or ingestion of this gas can cause complications to the respiratory system that may be fatal in some cases.

How to Use Safely

A high concentration of ammonia can be risky. To keep yourself safe, dilute a one-quarter (¼) cup of ammonia with a gallon of water, and make sure to wear rubber gloves when dealing with it.

2. Bleach

We all love to see our laundry clean and our rooms germ-free. Highly effective in whitening, sanitizing, and disinfecting, a bleaching solution can flawlessly clean all the grime and stains.

However, bleach is highly corrosive. Known as an oxidizing agent, inhaling its fumes may cause respiratory issues, particularly for individuals with asthma.

Research shows that prolonged exposure to bleach can induce non-allergic asthma in non-asthmatic individuals and likely elevate neutrophils, which signifies an infection.

How to Use Safely

  • Read and follow the instructions written on the product first.
  • Open your windows while using bleach to let the air circulate.
  • Wear protective gear such as gloves, face masks, and eye protection.
  • Keep children and pets away from the room and anyone suffering from asthma.

3. Antifreeze

This chemical substance is an engine coolant, handy for maintaining and regulating your machinery, but deadly if swallowed. The hazards of antifreeze can start as mild to fatal within 24 hours.

Antifreeze poisoning is lethal, especially to pets, as it contains ethynyl glycol. Even a tiny amount of it can cause organ damage, including the lungs, kidneys, and eventually the brain. In addition, it impairs the respiratory and nervous systems, which may ultimately lead to a coma.

How to Use Safely

Remember to store the container safely away from children’s reach or where pets can easily spill the liquid. Make sure to clean any residue after using, as pets may end up licking the juice if left unattended.

All in all, it’s better only to use it in a well-protected space away from your home’s interior.

4. Air Freshener

There are many air fresheners, but as the name implies, they all have the same purpose, freshening the air and masking foul odors. What most people don’t know is that improper use of a freshener causes many profound implications, such as:


Typical ingredients of an air freshener spray include butane, isobutane, propane, and isopropyl alcohol. All are highly flammable gasses and toxic when inhaled.

Health risk

When you use air fresheners, chemical substances called Volatile Organic Compounds or VOCs are emitted. One specific substance is formaldehyde, a corrosive compound that targets the respiratory system.

How to Use Safely

To avoid repeated exposure to dangerous chemicals, opt for organic essential oils that are less harmful to human health and the environment.

To keep the unpleasant odor at bay, we recommend relying less on air fresheners and opening your windows for better ventilation. Then, let nature do the trick!


Mothballs often keep fiber pests out of your cabinets and wardrobes. But because mothballs are pesticides, they are considered poisonous.

They contain naphthalene, a dangerous substance that can damage the liver and nervous system and cause hemolytic anemia. Children and pets are more susceptible to danger as they may mistake these balls for candies and swallow them whole.

How to Use Safely

  • Read the directions on the label and strictly follow them.
  • Lock the container out of sight from children and pets.
  • Preferably keep the mothballs in locked cabinets or wardrobes.

How to Protect Your Family From Improper Use of Chemicals

Though many household chemicals are risky, it’s often hard to find efficient replacements for all of them. So, here’s how to use them with caution to protect your family.

Recognize Hazards in Cleaning Products

When browsing for new products, watch out for items labeled as flammable, corrosive, poisonous, and toxic. Always practice caution when working with these items.

Follow the Instructions

Reading the product’s instructions and using it as directed is critical. You can also learn more by asking your local shop clerk for extra guidance.

Store and Dispose of Chemicals Properly

Make sure to store the household chemicals properly to avoid unwanted attention. Keep them out of children’s reach and away from hot areas.

After emptying, dispose of the containers properly, as acid and flammable residue may still be present.

Contact Helpline

If a family member shows poisoning symptoms, remain calm and contact your local hospital immediately. Try to identify what they swallowed first, so you can relay the info to the medics and get instructions.

About Emily Leake

Check Also

How To Clean Office Chair

Reading Time: 5 minutes Just like any other piece of furniture, office chairs can get dirty and smelly over …